Thursday, May 21, 2015

NOT A KIRBY CHARACTER: Batman!

Just for fun....

....and to get some inking practice with a Pitt Artist Brush Pen.

This is me inking over a Jack Kirby illustration. I wanted to do a character that, as far as I know, Kirby never did. I was going to just do Batman in Kirby's style, but then I thought it'd be cool if it really looked like Kirby drew it. I got the idea from a drawing Darwyn Cooke did:


So, I found an illustration of Captain America, Bucky, and the Red Skull:


Then, I converted the drawing to blueline, redrew some parts to make it look like Batman, Robin, and the Joker, then inked it. 


I read that Cooke used the Pitt Artist pens and then saw some videos of him using them to great success. He manages to make them look like real brushwork. I feel like it was mostly successful. Some areas could have used a little more care. I feel like my scanner isn't working as well anymorre also. (Can anyone recommend a scanner that holds up over time and makes crisp clean scans?)

It was a lot of fun. I may do more of these for more inking practice.

Thanks for looking.
Mike






No comments: