Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Star Wars Wednesday #30: THRAWN

Grand Admiral Thrawn

My friend Robert Mullin requested I draw a character from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy in the style of Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. I thought it was a great idea and I've been looking forward to sharing this piece. I'm hoping to draw some more Expanded Universe (Legends) characters like this for future Star Wars Wednesdays. 

I really wanted to do something more elaborate with the background, but I just didn't have the time for this one. My original idea was to have a painted background similar to what background artists did for the Clone Wars series. Scroll down to see what I mean. 

The black and white original. India ink on bristol board, 6x9.
Drawn with Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens

The background in the image below is by legendary concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. I put this together in Photoshop just to see how it would work. I'm in no way claiming this is my own art. It was purely for fun. But something like this is what I originally intended to do for this piece. If I find the time, I may come back to this piece with a new background. 

What I really wanted to do for this week's Star Wars Wednesday.

As I said, this Star Wars Wednesday was inspired by a request. I'd love to take more requests, so if there's anything you'd like to see me draw feel free to let me know. 

To see more Star Wars Wednesdays as well as other Star Wars art, check out the archives or my Star Wars fan art page.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
For commissions (or requests): lynchmikew@gmail.com

No comments: